Sunday, August 2, 2009

When weekends get ruined...


(Creative Kokeshi)

On Saturday I woke up early, planning on going to see the German Mosque exhibition at the Islamic Arts Museum then off to Bangsar for my usual pedicure appointment. But then of course, the stupid protest was going on!

A while ago something similar had happened, where the cops had closed off roads for a bicycle race. No prior notice given, and deff no alternative routes suggested. Essentially they just kept on telling everyone to keep on moving. So three and a half hour later or so The Boyfriend and I were STILL stuck in traffic having circled KL once. And I was desperate for a bathroom. Not a good thing to happen of course. I finally parked in a mall and walked back to The Boyfriends house(the downside of living in the city)

So anyways, having learnt my lesson from before, I decided that I will make one attempt to go to the museum and then Ill go straight to Bangsar. Lo and behold! the protest was GATHERING at the National Mosque which was next to the Islamic Arts Museum. So, cancelled my trip and went straight to Bangsar. Super disappointed seeing that I had to cart my SLR with me the whole time and way through.

Fortunately, there was a Japanese wooden doll exhibition going on in Bangsar Village 2. So at least there was something else to look at. Called Kokeshi dolls, they are Japanese wooden dolls made according to traditional local technique passed down through generations of craftsmen.


(Creative Kokeshi)


(Creative Kokeshi)

Kokeshi consists of only a head and a body. Each kokeshi is made by an individual craftsmen thus showcasing fully the characteristics of the person who made it.
They can be divided into two different types, traditional and creative, with traditional comprising of 11 different categories.


(Traditional Kokeshi)

But enough chit chat. You should go and see it for yourself in the concourse level of Bangsar Village 2. And of course, after youre done, you can do what I did, and just spoil yourself with a pedicure. Personally, I really like Chic Nail Spa by Soong Ai Ling. Love the ambience, the attention and especially the foot massages. MMMMmmmmmm


(Chic Nail Spa)

Chic Nail Spa : 03-2282-5972
1F-22, Bangsar Village 2,
No 2, Jalan Telawi Satu,
Bangsar Baru, 59100, Kuala Lumpur

(All Kokeshi information taken from exhibition)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing images of your trip, specially Traditional Kokeshis, which I was looking for.

    Brazilian best regards,
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alessandra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such a nice idea, post is good, thats why i have read it completely

    Feel free to surf to my website weight loss

    ReplyDelete