Saturday, August 7, 2010

Week 30 : Artsy weekend

Taking it a little slow this week as I transition from my previous project to my new one. On Tuesday my family and I went to watch Cuci the Musical at Istana Budaya. Even though it was a lot of fun and I say "yay! for Malaysian talent and Malaysian art" it was FOUR.FRICKING.HOURS. There were a lot of improv comedy moments in there that also caused the draggy-ness of the show. Jacklyn Victor was simply amazing, her voice... wow. And Awie... wow. I just hope that in future we rely less on just the vanilla flavored artists to act and sing and actually harness new talent that can really do the whole singing and dancing and acting. Essentially to start breeding our own generation of Broadway stars. But yes, for a Malaysian attempt I still think it was quite good. Set was pretty amazing, but four hours???!!! seriously??!!! and nobody warned us about that either.


(Cuci the Musical)

Today I walked around KLCC and as usual dropped by the Petronas Gallery to see what new art collection was up. I must say, this time, the exhibitions were amazing. Firstly, it's contemporary art, so just a word of caution to all you renaissance/ historical art lovers. Secondly, its divided into two parts, the Young Malaysian Artists - new object(ion) and the Words+Pictures=Book exhibition. I loved the energy, the colors, the vibe of the entire exhibition. I especially loved Words+Pictures=Book as it evoked this whole sense of nostalgia and reminiscence of my childhood spent reading picture books. I loved that the Malaysian artists themselves had a go at writting one each and infusing in it the local elements. And it was just... happy, and filled with hopes and dreams, just like when you were a kid and nobody told you you couldnt actually fly to the moon.


(Inspiration from Bosch?)


(They also sell the whole collection of books!)

Tomorrow Im going to try and hit either the National Art Gallery, or watch 'Salt' the jury is still out on which one I should go for. Well, I guess depends on how I feel tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment