Sunday, June 14, 2009

High tea at Carcosa


(Pics courtesy of Miss C)

Ive had some high tea experiences. The first time I tasted scones and clotted cream was in London and never forgot that incredible taste of clotted cream. It was incredible, made me want to eat the whole bowl of cream. Then the second time was at The Peninsula in Hong Kong. Was quite nice actually, except it is actually in the middle of the lobby. And getting one of the corner tables made it tough since people kept on walking by us. The third time, was at The Burj in Dubai. A hefty seven course meal worth a bomb. I cant believe an afternoon tea could cost about RM300!!!. Of course, the upside was that we could actually be in The Burj. So maybe it was worth it. Well, maybe.

Because you see, I dont have much of a sweet tooth. Surprising? Not really. I binged on chocolate for three months straight after I came off a strict three year diet (dont ask). Anyways, so since then I stopped having chocolate cravings.

But anyways, I still do enjoy a nice cup of tea and always look forward to scones and clotted cream. So how was afternoon tea at Carcosa?

It was really nice. Located on top of a hill, the building is surrounded by lushes greens. You cant even see the city! So it was quite nice to be outside. The tea itself was quite good. Some people may think that the servings are quite minimal (one of each item) but it was more than enough for me and I had to rely on my friend Mr. R to polish off the rest of the food, while Miss C looked on in disbelief.

Top item, scones and clotted cream of course =). The cream itself was a little watered down, but they made up for it by having rose jelly. Which was really quite delicious and subtle when mixed together with the cream.


(L-R, Fresh strawberry jam, rose jelly, and clotted cream!)


(Part of the meal : Pics courtesy of Miss C)

The variety of teas were also quite impressive. Though I am much more of a coffee person than a tea person I can still enjoy a nice cuppa hot one. But since Im not much of a tea person I cant really tell you about the different types of teas that were offered. For our little party of 3, I got the lemon grass tea (nice and refreshing!), Miss C had the English Breakfast Tea while Mr. R had the white tea (if this helps to give an indication of the different types of teas available).

All in all, most certainly fun as an afternoon item to do. Funnily enough there were so many expats/ tourists there and so few locals. I would deff go back again (and this time with The Boyfriend since he complained about not bringing him). Nice place to just sit and hang out. I do recommend making a reservation and trying to get the indoors. Even though it is breezy outside, you still end up sweating buckets.


(Walking up to the lobby)


(The outside - its pretty nice, but this side faces the car park which was deff not the best view)

My one complain about the place? The chairs. Whats up with the chairs? The outdoor chairs are quite large and bulky lawn chairs taking away from any potential cosy-ness you could have with the people who came with you. I must say inside its quite ok with some sofas and soft chairs.

Carcosa Seri Negara
03-2282-18889
Price : ~RM 70 (its RM60 ++)

No comments:

Post a Comment