Saturday, September 18, 2010

Weekends 33-36 : Post raya walk

After my actual birthday weekend, I spent the next weekend celebrating my birthday in Bangkok. My friend Miss Prancy had invited me up on a spur of the moment whim and said to me "why dont you celebrate your birthday in Bangkok"

So I went, and danced the night away, and the next day we went over to Chatuchak for a little market shopping followed by actual shopping in Central Chitlom. Was a great weekend of celebrating with good friends, what more could a girl ask for.

The weekend after that, I got sent to a Women's conference in Singapore, followed by preparation for the big day - Raya! I told my mom that I wouldnt be able to go back home that weekend. When asked why, I told her I needed to get ready for Raya - needed to do my hair and nails and all, to which my mother responded "La, I thought you were going to bake some cookies"

Raya was spent chomp chomp chomping and nom nom noming on great food all over. We visited my grand aunts and uncles, and just met up to catch up. My fathers side of the family is quite big you see. He has 11 other siblings, which translates into ~60 direct first cousins (including the married partners) and translates into ~15 nieces and nephews right now. Always a great big fun because we all try to meet up, and travel and visit together.






For those of you still looking for a good nom nom noming place, just remember that Raya is celebrated for a month. So just go hunting for "open house" or "rumah terbuka" which essentially translates to "come on over and eat!"

Now, as for this weekend (yes, apologies for cramming in 3 weekends in one post) I started the evening by going through my old time out magazines. Then being prompted that tonight was the Lantern festival. So, I grabbed my new Spanish friend A and we headed out to Jalan Tuanku first for the supremely amazing and famous Nasi briyani at Restaurant Insaf (I truly recommend the nasi briyani ayam madu, or known as nasi briyani with honey chicken). Ive brought quite a number of friends there and so far have not heard any complaints!


(The beautiful Sultan Abdul Samad building at Dataran Merdeka)

Then we ventured on to walk downtown in search of the Tanglung (Lantern) Festival which was supposed to be from 4-11 p.m. in Petaling Street area. After showing off the beautiful Dataran Merdeka area, and walking through my old KL, we finally stumbled on the crowd of people in front of Central Market!


(The festival started at Central Market)

Lanterns lanterns everywhere! to celebrate the mooncake festival. It was quite a lot of fun, though of course could be better managed, i.e. where are all the lanterns that we can buy, and most importantly, why didnt anyone bother to advertise it in the papers today, so that people would know?? after all, not everyone would be like me and actually lock it down in my calendar when I read about it a few weeks ago.


(Mini lions! blink blink blink)

There were a few mini lions (so cute!) leading the way, with everyone else following behind. Quite a fun procession, though of course would be great if they could turn off the street lights, and everyone walks with their lanterns. Ah well, always room for improvement, though agreed it was quite fun.


(Little boys lighting up their lanterns)


(Hanging up your wishes)

As for tomorrow, its Arts for Grabs at Central Park again! After missing a few rounds before I think Ill walk on over for a sneak peek for this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment