Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cheese cheese!

For the past week Ive been sent over to our friendly neighbor Jakarta for work. Its been quite a lot of fun being here. Even though a few members of my company are constantly sent over, I myself have never had a chance to work in this city. The people here are without a doubt really really nice, and the entire city has a very service oriented mindset to them. I guess you kind of have to with that many people. Every little bit counts in trying to get higher spending from foreigners.


(The really great view from Hyatt rooftop)

There is of course, the infamous Jakarta traffic you have to contend with... and after getting stuck in one on my first day here I quickly re-strategized my day to make sure I was back in my hotel before the traffic built up... and to continue working from the hotel of course. Otherwise you're pretty much better off staying where you are until about 8:00 p.m. when traffice eases up again.


(The horror!)

I do fly back on Thursday evenings so I have my Fridays in KL. Last Friday I was invited to go for... Cheese Fondue!!

Even though I studied in the States and studied 3 months in Paris, I have yet to have a proper cheese fondue (the kind that doesnt involve microwaving cheese in college days). So we went over to Chalet Suisse in Ampang for some much needed cheese!

The decor of the whole restaurant is quite quirky. They're built it to look similar to a Swiss lodge. They even have cotton as fake snow lacing the inside of windows so with a painted picture of the Alps in the background. I only tried out the fondue itself but have been informed by my friends who had the main course that the courses there are pretty good as well. The best part? its really easy to get here (with a car of course, but how else would you get around the city). Just take Jalan Ampang all the way past Great Eastern Mall and Gleneagles. Go on the flyover and pass Ampang Point on your left. At the traffic light, turn right. Then immediately turn left into the shophouses and turn right immediately. It will be the only restaurant with a cow up front.


(Alps-y feel)

Its located in Korean Town, so you deff wont miss a cow when every single other shop is a Korean shop.


(Let there be cheese!)

The portions are decent, but I guess depends on how much you like cheese. Two French, two Malaysian and two Spaniards shared two servings of cheese fondue, but the four Swiss friends who showed up ordered five servings for themselves. My French friend tells me later that this is pretty typical for the Swiss =P

Swiss Chalet website

No comments:

Post a Comment