Monday, September 26, 2011

70's roller disco weekend

Have you guys seen the movie Whip it? starring Drew Barrymore. Well I watched it once and was enthralled. I thought it would be great to join a roller derby, smack some people around, come up with a cool roller derby name. And then I thought, where the hell can you do something like that??

Enter The Wheels


(The Wheels roller skating rink)

It reminds me of a 70's era roller disco party. The place is quite huge (think about 4 - 5 shoplots huge) and located on the top floor of Suband Avenue; located close to Subang Parade. For RM20 you get to skate around for about 3 hours, or you could pay RM25 and skate the whole day. The cost is inclusive of the shoe rental.

(The skates light up as you roll on by)

Speaking of which... you get a choice of either skating around on old school four wheel roller skates, or blazing on roller blades. The roller blades give you better control, but the roller skates give you more balance (larger distribution of weight). Both types only have brakes at the front of the shoe, so learn to break ala Michael Jackson. The fun part if that they all come with LED lights as you skate along.

(My friend showing how to brake)

The arena is also done up with cute LED lights all along the way, and to lend more old school vibe, there is even a DJ booth on the side where you can request your choice of music. For those far more adventurous, they have ramps down the middle and even a stage for you to jump up and dance.


(Rolling along in the arena)

I decided to hold my birthday party here one weekend. Since it was a roller disco kind of place, I thought it would be apt to have a 70's style roller disco party. Was great fun to have all my friends show up in their 70's best. The best part of the whole night? as it was still the fasting month, the whole place was empty (I held it right after break of fast). My whole group had the entire place to ourselves, so we rocked it out to the old classics of YMCA and my personal fav, ABBA's dancing queen.


(Doing stunts on the dance floor)

I think you should all try it at least once, for something a little different. And for those looking for a unique date experience, this would deff be it.

You can also see the video and post my sister had done on it here : Fie-nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment